Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Thoughts turn to New Zealand

I'm quite sure that I'm not the only one who has been watching with horror the events unfolding in New Zealand. Sir Pinkying and I went there in September of last year, and although we didn't go to Christchurch, we did go to Kaikouri slightly north of the city.
September of last year when we were there was only about 2 weeks after they had the first significant earthquake, there were some roads that were still blocked but the people seemed to be getting on with life.

This new quake happened at the worst possible time - it was the middle of the day, office workers were out getting lunch, or at their desks and the city was busy. It is tragic and our collective Australian hearts go out to them.

As small nations at "the ends of the Earth" there is a long and abiding friendship between Australia and New Zealand, I heard someone today call them our ANZAC siblings, and that is really true. We share a common spirit, so in times like these I believe that we feel a common grief.

So tonight I'm thinking of all our New Zealand siblings, our quilting sisters and their loved ones.

1 comment:

  1. I've been praying for them, adding NZers to my growing list of people suffering through devastation (flooding; Yasi). We were in Christchurch about 18 months ago, so a couple photos I've seen are of somewhat familiar places. Of course, the cathedral is iconic. Thinking of NZ right along with you...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming to read my blog! Post your thoughts here:

Popular Posts