Monday, November 1, 2010

Candied Hexagons continued....

Hi all,
As many of you know there is something of a groundswell in Australia at the moment for a quilt called "Candied Hexagons".

I've been working on mine for just under a year now, and I'm quite pleased to give you a progress report. So far I have sewn 74 hexagons out of a total of 104 (in case anyone is counting, there are only 73 in the pile, but I finished another hexagon after I took these photos).

I really love this photo - on the left is the hexagons that I've sewn, and on the right are the "cheat" hexagons - that is the ones that are made of a single fabric (the feature floral). All you really need to do is baste them, that's why I can't help but think of them as the "cheater" blocks!

This is my favourite block to sew, which I was very surprised about - but I love the way the pieces all fit together like a puzzle. The original quilt (by Kerry Dear) was actually sewn by machine, but I was looking for a hand sewing project. A number of the women at my quilting group were doing it by hand, so I decided to give it a go. I know in myself that I don't have the discipline to sew a whole quilt with only the sem allowances marked - so I'm paper piecing it.

I've never paper pieced (or hand pieced for that matter!) before, so I did a lot of reading online first (there are a couple of really great bloggers who had step-by-step photos!) and then sewed one block, and trapsed off to the quilting group the next month to check that I'd done it properly!!

Since then I've just been sewing away - matching colours as I went along. I also asked some loved ones to choose a block design and colours for me - so there will always be a block designed by my Mum, a block designed by my sister, a block designed by Sir Pinkying... it's kind of nice to feel like I'm sewing my "family" into the quilt!
Because I'm starting to get close to "the end" of making the blocks, I put aside randomness for a while to make up the "sets" of blocks that are featured in the original pattern. These are ones like the three blocks above where the positioning of the fabrics and the designs of the blocks create a secondary pattern. LOVE them!
I already know that I want to do another hand project when I've finished this one - but I will FINISH this first!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Your hexes are looking just great! I especially love your idea of asking family members to design their own hexes. Clever. You're going to really enjoy working the border triangles - I hope! Well done Pinky :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Thanks for sharing all the photos of the various combinations of prints. They're just lovely. You're really moving along, and good for you for sticking with it. I think I just need you and Di (see comment above) to give me a swift kick to get going on my own border triangles. Got your boots on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my word these are so gorgeous!!! I'm impressed thoroughly. ♥ them

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming to read my blog! Post your thoughts here:

Popular Posts